I came across this rock melon at the supermarket and it said it was an Italy melon. I was kind of intrigued and since it was not expensive, I bought one. There was some left and as always, I wanted to try some bakes using the fruit. Honeydew castella, melon ogura ….. all came into my mind and I could always do a chiffon with it but I wanted something richer then. Just some craving. So I decided to try to do a butter cake with it.
Recalling the durian butter cake I have done before which was so yummy (Thanks to Diana Ho for sharing the awesome recipe!), I thought of using the same recipe to try out this cake. The cake turned out fragrant. It was not exactly butter cake texture as I guessed the melon fruit was too wet and thus gave the cake a more densed texture. Nonetheless it was still nice and my family likes the cake, especially hubby (^-^)
For those who are interested to try, here’s the recipe. You might like to further reduce the sugar amount as the melon fruit itself is sweet.
100g hard butter (just taken out from fridge), cut into cubes
80g sugar (I used 60g)
130g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
150g cantaloupe melon flesh, blended (I did not blend till smoothie stage.)
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
80g castor sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 160°C
* Grease n line deep 8-inch square cake tin (you can use a 9-inch round tin too)
* Cream butter and sugar at medium speed for 15mins until fluffy.
* Add in egg yolks n cream for additional 5mins at medium speed.
* Add in melon flesh and mix well.
* Switching beater to slow speed, add in sifted flour n baking powder.
* Leave aside.
* Whisk ingredients B at max speed till stiff
* Fold meringue into A and mix well. Bake for 40-45mins.
As I was typing this out, I suddenly missed the durian butter cake so much too! Haha… you might see me posting the cake soon if I cannot resist the craving (^-^) For now, I hope you will like my version of the melon cake.