Sometime back, there was this craze for these Gula Melaka Banana Muffins in the Facebook groups. I am one avid lover for Gula Melaka, for bananas, for walnuts and for muffins, so how could I miss this out? I am so glad and grateful that I tried the recipe, for the muffins turned out one of the best that I have ever baked (^-^) So moist, soft and flavourful!
Many of you might have already tried this recipe too but for those who have not, please don’t hesitate (^-^) Credit goes to Ellena Guan. Her recipes are always so awesome. She has the cake baked as a whole 7-inch square cake. I have previously tried baking as a whole cake too and a few times, into muffins. Equally yummy! Do not worry about the alcohol content. My kids have been fine all these while and did not create more havoc than they have usually been doing. I read that some have tried omitting the alcohol and it worked just as well. For me, I have tried using Kahlua and rum. Both taste just as delish.
* Source: Ellena Guan “Gula Melaka Banana Cake with Walnuts” with slight modifications.
250g unsalted butter, softened (I used President. Have previously used Lurpak)
140g shaved Gula Melaka
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs (I used 60g each egg)
270g self raising flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
240g ripe banana, mashed
60g chopped walnuts
30ml Kahlua (This time round, I used rum)
30g shaved gula Melaka (Optional)
extra walnuts (whole) and banana slices for topping (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 170 deg C. Grease and line a 7-inch square pan. I baked into muffins and thus used muffin cases instead (*approximately 12 muffins).
2. Beat butter, shaved gula Melaka and vanilla using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well mixed.
3. Next fold in half portion of the sifted flour (SR flour, baking soda and salt) till well mixed. Add in mashed banana and stir in the remaining flour. Mix well.
4. Lastly, stir in the Kahlua and chopped walnuts till combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan (or muffin cases). Top with sliced banana, walnuts and sprinkle more shaved gula Melaka.
6. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 50 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean. For muffins, I bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.
7. Cool cake completely on a rack.
This recipe is top of my list should I like to bake something for some gatherings, or simply to satisfy my cravings (^-^)