Oops! I cannot even recall when I baked this. Maybe sometime in June? This is one of my favourite recipes for plain white bread. It uses liquid starter and the result is soft, fluffy, white bread. Hubby and I can be quite old school and at times, we really just want some simple white bread for breakfast.
This is yet another fantastic recipe from 冰。雨恋 (cathyfalicy blogspot) She has especially, a lot of wonderful bread recipes in her blog. If you are comfortable with Chinese language, please do drop by her blog.
Below is the recipe from her blog which I have tried to translate. . You may want to halve the recipe for the standard Pullman tin size. Or you may want to bake a loaf and for the remaining dough, bake some small buns.
bread flour 50g
Method: Mix the above together and leave in room temperature for at least 4 hours for later use.
bread flour 500g
milk powder 2 tbs
salt 1 tsp
yeast 1 tbs
1. Put the wet ingredients (ie water) into the breadmaker pan, including the liquid starter. Then add in the bread flour, milk powder and sugar. Make a well in the centre of the flour heap, pour in the yeast. Start the breadmaker machine kneading function. Add in the salt. When the dough comes together, add in the butter.
2. After kneading is completed, leave for first proofing for an hour or when dough is doubled in size.
3. Give the dough a few punches to release the air. Divide the dough into smaller portions (180g per ball x 3 for a standard size loaf pan. and you will have approximately another 500g dough left. You could make smaller buns with these. Cover with cling wrap and let rest for 15 min.
4. Roll out each of the 180g dough into longish oval. Fold in the 2 long sides into the middle. Turn it over and then roll up the dough like a swiss roll. Flatten it again and repeat the steps for 3 times. The length of the rolled up dough should be the width of your pan. Continue and repeat for the remaining dough.
5. Place in the loaf pan and proof for another hour. I like to proof the dough in closed oven with a bowl of hot water placed in it. Cover the pan with the lid (if you preferred) when the dough is about 80-90% filled.
6. Preheat oven to 150 deg cel. Bake for 35-40min.
This loaf is nice in its own simple ways. Hope you will like it too ^^