Here’s the Bear-Shaped Nutella Buns I baked for the family in June just before I went for my yearly “retreat” with uni friends. Wanted to make something cute and cheery for them and remembered the recipe from Nasilemak Lover which I have bookmarked for sometime. The girls love nutella, so they would like these buns.
After I posted the buns on FB, the post received many kind words and compliments ^^ Really not that difficult to make these buns, so here’s the recipe for all to try. Hope you will have fun and enjoy baking them!
For the bread
350g High protein flour or bread flour
40g caster sugar
15g cocoa powder (I use Belgium dark cocoa powder)
1/2tsp fine salt
1tsp instant yeast
230g fresh milk
25g unsalted butter, room temperature
For decorate the bear face
- In a stand mixer, add in bread ingredients except butter, mix and knead till smooth. I use my breadmaker for the kneading part.
- Add in butter, knead till elastic and shining dough. Cover and set aside to proof till double in size.
- Punch down the dough to expel air, to weight 35g each for 16 portions for the body and shape into round ball. And also to weight 2g each for the ear for 32 portions, rest for 15mins.
- Take 35g dough and fill in ~1tsp Nutella, wrap and shape into ball, place into a baking pan (9’x9’), repeat till finished.
- Brush milk on the dough, then place two 2g dough for the ear, lightly press to stick. Repeat till all ear dough finished .Cover and let is proof for another 30-45mins.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 180C for 20mins, remove from baking tin, set aside till completely cool down before decorate it.
- Melt white chocolate, then use a Chinese brush to paint at the centre. I used piping bag, cut a small slit and piped. Melt dark chocolate, fill in a piping bag, then make the eyes, nose and mouth.
- Store in air-tight container to avoid bread buns turned dry quickly.
I am so happy that I have received an order for these buns! Happy not because of the “sale” but because of the sweet thought of this aunt who is going to give them for her niece’s birthday party. Hope these buns will delight the little kids ^^