Since I have opened my can of pineapple and used only the juice to bake the Hawaiian Style Pineapple Sweet Rolls, I must think of something to use the pineapple slices! I am not a fan of pineapple upside down cakes, so did not have that as one of the choices. I was craving for some moist muffins then, so that was it! Muffins! And I would add bananas to them! Hmm… pineapple and banana … would they be a good pair?
The muffins turned out fabulous! And I topped up the muffins with some desiccated coconuts. Interesting flavours in perfect harmony!
*makes about 12 standard size muffins
290g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
2 large riped bananas (mashed)
2 large eggs (room temp)
120g brown sugar
113g butter (softened)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup pineapple chunks/cubes (save 12 pieces for garnish)
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp desiccated coconut (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 190 deg C. Line your muffin trays with liners/cases.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3) In another bowl or mixer, beat together the brown sugar and butter. Gradually add in the eggs. Mix in the mashed banana and vanilla.
4) Stir in the dry ingredients until blended. Fold in the pineapple cubes until just combined. Do not overmix. Spoon into the liners/cases.
5) Top each muffin with a piece of the pineapple chunk. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar and desiccated coconut. Bake for 25-30 mins or until done.