Today is Thursday. Thursday = Busy day (><) Can’t try new recipes nor anything that requires too long a time. However, need to bake some bread for the family. Hence I am going back to one of my favourite straight dough recipes, the Egg Toast recipe. Adapted the recipe from my fav book 妙手烘焙 and I think it is called the egg toast cos of the amount of eggs used (2 eggs are used). I have baked this several times and below pic was taken at the first time I baked this loaf, sometime in January last year. Love the toast very much! It has this 扎实的口感. And a slice is enough to make one feel full (yet, also craving for more cos it is yummy).
*with my fav white chocolate spread! Yum yum!
Here’s the recipe which I have also shared in the Culinary Kitchenette blog. Hope you can give it a try and see if you like this too ^-^ Have tried taking photos while doing the shaping. Hope the simple “picture tutorial” is clear enough to show how I have shaped the dough ^^
*adapted from 妙手烘焙
Bread flour 280g
Caster sugar 40g
Yeast 1 tsp
Eggs 2 (approx. 100g)
Milk powder 2 tbs
Salt 3/4 tsp
Butter 25g (room temp)
A 450g Pullman loaf (greasing is not necessary for my loaf pan as I am using the non-stick type)
1) Place the ingredients in the BM or mixer to knead till window pane. If using BM, I like to place in the wet ingredients first, follow by the dry ingredients and lastly the yeast in the centre of the flour pile. Salt and butter to be added only after approximately 5 minutes into kneading.
2) After first proof (I proof for an hour), punch out the air and divide the dough into 3 equal portions. Cover the dough (I use cling wrap) and let rest for 15 minutes.
3) Roll each of the dough into oval and fold in (lengthwise) both sides to the centre. Flatten out the air and roll the dough into long rectangular shape. The width of the rectangular dough should be the same as the width of the loaf pan. Roll up the dough from the short side, like a mini swiss roll. Do not roll the dough too tightly. Do the same for the other 2 dough balls.
4) Place the 3 rolls into the pan neatly. Cover with cling wrap and start second proofing. Personally, I like to do my second proofing in the oven (Oven NOT on), and place 1-2 cups of hot water in the oven as well. When the dough has risen to about 90% full (Mine took approx. 50min to reach this stage), you can preheat the oven (Remember to take out the pan and the cups!) Preheat the oven at 200 deg cel.
5) Apply egg-white-only egg wash on the top of the dough. And bake at the preheated oven but to change the temperature now to 180 deg cel, for 35-40min. I place my loaf at the rack one layer lower than the middle. 10 minutes later, tent the bread by placing a sheet of aluminium foil on top to prevent the bread from getting too brown.
6) Once baked, remove the bread and unmould it immediately. Let cool completely before slicing.
Ok! Got to start my engine and “vroom” through the evening. I am chauffeur duty bounded. That’s my life on evenings and weekends (><) Hence I gave myself the term “MAMAserati” and I think many friends like this name and started to use it too. Hahaha… (^-^) For the record, I don’t drive a Maserati though it is my dream car. Will continue to finish off this post when I’m back and the loaf is sliced, ok?
I’m back! Going to slice my loaf and hehehe… perhaps steal a slice.
Good night, everyone! I know I’m going to have a sweet slumber knowing that I would be waking up to my favourite toast for breakfast tomorrow (^^)