My house is always filled with fruits but actually we do not eat that much. G.U.I.L.T.Y. Hence, more often than not, the fruits will end up in my bakes ^^ I have baked Chocolate Orange Cake several times but I really cannot recall which one is my top fav as I love all the different recipes I have used. For this cake, I was using the recipe from Phong Hong (Phong Hong Bakes and Cooks!) and for the next one (which I will post later), was from Ann’s blog (Anncoo Journal).
Always love the combination of chocolate and orange. Think the pairing is superb and with the addition of chocolate flavor, my kids will always take a second helping or more.
Source: Phong Hong Bakes and Cooks! Chocolate Orange Cake with slight modifications.
– 250g unsalted butter, room temp
– 150g caster sugar
– 3 eggs
– orange zest from one orange (I used the large orange)
– 1 teaspoon vanilla essence.
Ingredients B (Combined and sifted)
– 250g plain flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/8 tsp salt
– 250ml sour cream
– 50g dark chocolate chips (melted and let cool)
1. Preheat oven at 160C.
2. Grease a 9″ baking mould with butter. (I used an 8 inch bundt pan which I buttered generously and sprinkled with flour. Then I set the pan aside in the fridge)
3. Beat butter and add sugar. Beat until soft and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
5. Add orange rind and vanilla essence and beat till well combined.
6. Add ingredients B in four additions and sour cream in 3 additions. Beat well after each addition.
7. Take 1/2 of the batter and gently mix with the melted chocolate (do not overmix)
8. Alternate the plain and chocolate batter along the edge of the mould until all the batter is used up.
9. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 50 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and unmould after 10 minutes and let cake continue to cool.
Being a busy mummy, many times, I really appreciate such simple recipes to do up some cakes or bread for the kids to bring to school for their noon time snack. And I know they would always come home with their lunchboxes empty when it is something they like to eat that I have packed for them ^^