Hi, I’m back! As mentioned in my previous post on oven-baked baby ribs, I am going to share the version of the ribs that I have prepared last Saturday for our family Christmas dinner for this year (^-^) This time round, I tried the recipe from Diana, our famous Domestic Goddess (You must check out her blog! She didn’t win the best cooking blog for no reason! I have actually bookmarked the recipe and was just waiting for the occasion to try it out.
I bought 2 beautiful racks of ribs from my trusty butcher (but this time round, I made sure he did not chop up the ribs into pieces as what he did last year!). The ribs were huge and cost me $31 for the 1.5kg. Then I did my inventory check of all the spices needed if I have them … Well, need to buy a few such as cayenne powder, onion powder and also paprika. I listened to Diana’s recommendation and got the smoked paprika and gosh! It is heavenly! I did the marinating the day before and couldn’t wait for the actual cooking! Another reason (a practical one) why I chose this recipe cos the cooking is to be done with slow cooker! It meant I could just dump the ribs into my crockpot (btw, for the record, as some of you would already know … hehehe… I own 5 crockpots of different sizes, 3 thermal pots, 2 claypots and 1 tanyu!), while doing up other dishes for the night, such as my Jamie Oliver Style Roast Chicken, my Parmesan Cheese Cauliflower poppers, Japanese maki sushi, etc. I need to plan well and multi-task everytime I have such dinner feast (^-^) It’s hectic and frantic everytime but it’s also a joy and pleasure to be cooking for family and friends.
Here’s the awesome recipe! Many friends would attest to that as they have tried preparing this too. My family who tried the ribs that night loved it so much that my mum kept singing her praises.
Oh, wait! Be warned! The ribs will turn out sooooo tender and succulent that the meat will fall off from the bones easily. Hahaha … that was why instead of 2 long racks of ribs that I mentioned above, my picture showed the ribs being shortened (#^^#) as I had difficulties lifting the ribs out from the slow cooker onto the pan and for the final plating.
Slow Cooker Barbecued Ribs
Recipe adapted from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
- 1 – 1.5kg ribs
- 1/8 cup paprika
- 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce (I used our all-time fav Korean BBQ sauce, original flavor)
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to make dry rub.
- Liberally rub spice mixture on all sides of ribs.
- Prop ribs into slow cooker against the sides and leaning in like a tent. It doesn’t need to be perfect, just propped up so there can be a bit of air around the ribs.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the ribs. Place a piece of parchment paper over the ribs, then cover with the lid.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or until ribs are cooked through and falling off the bone.
- Preheat broiler. Carefully transfer tender ribs to a broiler pan. Set aside.
- Pour sauce and drippings from slow cooker through a sieve into a medium sauce pan. Heat on high until boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until thick and syrupy. – I simply poured more bbq sauce onto the ribs and brushed to coat evenly.
- Brush sauce on ribs and place under broiler for 10 minutes or until caramelized. – I grilled mine at 220C for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with more sauce on the side, if desired.
After trying this recipe, I have decided that I don’t need any occasion to justify cooking this again!!! (^o^)